Violence at Nagaland-Assam border
Diphu: Heavy exchange of fire broke out when unidentified people from Nagaland side allegedly opened fired on workers and security personnel engaged in eviction operation against encroachers in Karbi Anglong district of Assam today leaving a labourer injured.
The miscreants fired from sophisticated INSAS rifles, light machine guns, rocket launchers and hurled bombs at the labourers, police and officials of district administration and forest department who were evicting the encroachers in Doldoli Reserve Forest land at Dikoibari, Additional Superintendent of Police Nanda Singh told PTI.
The police retaliated and heavy exchange of fire was continuing with the attackers firing from bunkers set up along the Assam-Nagaland border, Singh who was leading the eviction drive said.
The labourer, who was hit on his shoulder, was admitted to Diphu Civil Hospital, Singh said.
About 150 illegally constructed houses were pulled down in the forest area falling under Diphu police station during the operation today, the ASP said.
Yesterday, the miscreants had blasted bombs, hurled grenades and fired from rifles to halt the eviction operation but none was injured, Singh said.
A total of 69 illegally constructed houses under Lahorijan border outpost, 300 under Dikoi (BOP) and 70 under Sankertilla (BOP) were demolished yesterday, he said.
Two SBBL guns, a car and several hundred roofing tin sheets were recovered from Sankertilla area, the ASP said.
Since January last, he said the miscreants had occupied several hundred hectares of Doldoli Reserve Forest and were periodically firing upon security personnel at Sankertilla, Kasiram, Lahorijan and Rangapa BOP areas.
In this connection, nine cases were registered in Diphu police station and 55 persons arrested since then.
Senior police officials have been visiting the border areas and civil society organisations from the district and Nagaland had meetings appealing for peace and for the two state governments to politically solve the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city