Violence at Nagaland-Assam border
Diphu: Heavy exchange of fire broke out when unidentified people from Nagaland side allegedly opened fired on workers and security personnel engaged in eviction operation against encroachers in Karbi Anglong district of Assam today leaving a labourer injured.
The miscreants fired from sophisticated INSAS rifles, light machine guns, rocket launchers and hurled bombs at the labourers, police and officials of district administration and forest department who were evicting the encroachers in Doldoli Reserve Forest land at Dikoibari, Additional Superintendent of Police Nanda Singh told PTI.
The police retaliated and heavy exchange of fire was continuing with the attackers firing from bunkers set up along the Assam-Nagaland border, Singh who was leading the eviction drive said.
The labourer, who was hit on his shoulder, was admitted to Diphu Civil Hospital, Singh said.
About 150 illegally constructed houses were pulled down in the forest area falling under Diphu police station during the operation today, the ASP said.
Yesterday, the miscreants had blasted bombs, hurled grenades and fired from rifles to halt the eviction operation but none was injured, Singh said.
A total of 69 illegally constructed houses under Lahorijan border outpost, 300 under Dikoi (BOP) and 70 under Sankertilla (BOP) were demolished yesterday, he said.
Two SBBL guns, a car and several hundred roofing tin sheets were recovered from Sankertilla area, the ASP said.
Since January last, he said the miscreants had occupied several hundred hectares of Doldoli Reserve Forest and were periodically firing upon security personnel at Sankertilla, Kasiram, Lahorijan and Rangapa BOP areas.
In this connection, nine cases were registered in Diphu police station and 55 persons arrested since then.
Senior police officials have been visiting the border areas and civil society organisations from the district and Nagaland had meetings appealing for peace and for the two state governments to politically solve the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites