Vote-on-account submitted in Assam assembly
Guwahati: Assam government today submitted the vote-on-account for 2011-12 at the state assembly seeking Rs 11.741 crore as the term of the present assembly expires soon.
Submitting the vote on account Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who also holds the finance portfolio, said the demand for grants was for four months from April one, 2011 to July 31, 2011.
He said the government`s policy is to restart the all-round development process and achieve a growth rate of at least 7.5 per cent as compared to around 2.5 per cent prevailing prior to 2000-01.
Claiming that the financial position of the state had improved remarkably during his ten-year tenure, Gogoi said the government had not resorted to any overdraft from RBI.
"The economic turnaround would not have been possible without remarkable improvement of law and order situation and when my government came to power in May 2001, the state was in turmoil due to violence perpetrated by extremists groups like ULFA and NDFB", he said.
On resumption of office, his government took action for a four-pronged strategy to combat insurgency and as a result of which peace was now prevailing in the state, Gogoi said.
"Of late the released ULFA leaders under `chairman` Arabinda Rajkhowa have demonstrated their keenness in solving the decade-long insurgency problem and the peace initiative is progressing smoothly," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!