Water level of rivers in Arunachal fall, 2 districts cut off
Itanagar: With improvement in the weather, the water level of major rivers in Eastern Arunachal showed a receding trend even as West and Upper Siang districts in the state remained cut off due to massive landslides triggered by torrential rain.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki on Saturday undertook an aerial survey of the affected areas accompanied by Chief Secretary Hari Krishna and Secretary, Disaster Management, Kapa Kholie, officials said today.
Reports had poured in of the Noa Dihing River rising over danger level and inundating portions of Dumpani and four other villages under Diyun circle in Changlang district.
At least 13,246 people of eleven villages have been affected by the current wave of flood.
Landing at Diyun, Tuki took first hand report of the situation from local Legislator CC Singpho and officials of the district administration, sources said.
The swollen river has triggered landslides in at least seven villages while about 85 hectares have been submerged in five villages, they said.
Another five villages are under danger of being affected if the river continued to be in spate or proper preventive measures are not taken up immediately, sources said.
To a plea for adequate fund to tackle the situation urgently, the chief minister announced an amount of Rs 2.5 crore for emergency protection works, particularly at Dumpani village, and directed Secretary, Disaster Management, to release the same to the district administration by tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- CAD to widen to $25 billion in FY17 on surge in gold imports, sluggish exports: Report
- Govt to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on Friday
- Scary! Truck carrying firecrackers catches fire at Yamuna Expressway – Watch
- Watch video: Top 10 incredible health benefits of pineapples!
- 1971 Indo-Pak war: 'Dusting was Indira Gandhi's stress-buster'