Woman lynched on suspicion of practising witchcraft
Tezpur: An elderly woman was lynched by some tea garden workers on suspicion of practising witchcraft in Helem Tea Estate in Assam`s Sonitpur district on Thursday.
The 58-year old woman, identified as Martha Hora, was allegedly beaten up by some tea garden workers who alleged that she practised witchcraft due to which several people had fallen ill recently, police said.
The police have taken four persons into custody in connection with the case. A section of the residents of the tea garden further alleged that a girl child fell ill and the woman began treating her but she was not cured.
The child was later taken to another priest who alleged that the woman had practised witchcraft following which the villagers lynched her to death, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14
- Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan to go dancing in 'ABCD 3'?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload