`Won`t pay ransom for securing release of hostages`
Aizawl: Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana Monday said the state government wants to secure the release of five people abducted on February 19 last without paying ransom as demanded by the abductors.
Stating this during question hour in the assembly, Lalzirliana said the government would not pay the ransom demanded by the Bru militants who abducted the five people from a poaching camp inside the Mizoram-Bangladesh-Tripura border Dampa Tiger Reserve.
"In the meeting recently convened by the government the church leaders, major NGOs and student bodies, we decided that ransom should not be paid to the Bru militants who refused to work but indulged in money-making through kidnappings," he said.
He said that the hostages were sick but the government could not provide medicine as it would mean succumbing to the militants.
"It was not that we do not feel pity for the captives, but we maintain that the hostages should be released all the more if they are sick," he said, adding, even terrorists who hijack aircraft release women, children and the sick.
The abductors have demanded Rs 100 lakh ransom for the release of the five persons.
While there were 23 abductions during the 10-year rule of the Mizo National Front (MNF), there were four kidnappings during the four-year Congress rule, he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Kangana Ranaut turns GORGEOUS showstopper for Tarun Tahiliani at Lakme Fashion Week—Pics inside!
- This Russian cat adopts baby monkey after his mother abandons him – Watch inspirational video!
- Centre must explain Scorpene submarines leak, says Congress
- 10 hot features of Google Android Nougat Operating System
- Teresa Giudice slammed for bikini pics of underage daughters