Work to start for new terminal building in Agartal
Agartala: Work for new terminal building of Agartala airport would begin within six months as part of creating infrastructure to upgrade it to an international airport.
This was informed by chairman of Airports Authority of India (AAI) to Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar during a meeting in New Delhi, officials said here today.
The new terminal building would be at least double its present size and the size of the apron would be four times bigger than the current size, Civil Aviation Secretary K N Srivastava had said here last month.
Agartala airport would be elevated to the status of an international airport by two-and-a-half years, he had said.
Sarkar had pressed for this demand when he called on Civil Aviation minister Ajit Singh on Friday.
The upgrading of the airport would improve connectivity to Dhaka and Chittagong of neighbouring Bangladesh, which in turn, will improve Indo-Bangla trade, Sarkar had said in a memorandum to Singh.
The AAI will invest Rs 250 crore to create infrastructure like expansion of runways, making aprons for accommodating 15 aircraft, modern terminal building, parking places and air traffic control towers.
The present airport is set up on 70-acre land and additional 107.46 acres would be acquired for which 140 families would be shifted and rehabilitated.
Sarkar said the airport has already functioned as an international airport when Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had visited Agartala last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested