Work underway on war footing on Tezpur-Tawang Road
Tezpur/Tawang: Keen to improve surface transport and road connectivity between Tezpur in Assam and Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh, the concerned authorities are working on a war footing to achieve this strategically important goal.
The 320-km-long road is the lifeline of the strategic border district of Tawang.
Its maintenance was affected by insurgency, but now work is in full swing for repair of the highway by the Border Roads Organization.
Regular supplies to the Indian Army posts along the Sino-Indian border, and the economy of Arunachal Pradesh depend on this road.
Currently repair and maintenance of the road is underway from Tezpur to Tawang.
“This project has been underway for the past one year. No, work is going on smoothly. The entire stretch is under construction,” said CL Francis, Personnel, the Pioneer Corps.
Improving road connectivity is not the only developmental activity underway in the region.
The Rajeev Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana (RGGVY), which is in progress, will benefit rural areas of Arunachal Pradesh.
Many new mini power projects are coming up in the region.
“This is a rural electrification project which will supply power to the villages. It will take another 3 months to be completed,” said Mahesh, a worker.
With the upgradation of the Tezpur-Tawang Road, tourism in the border district will get a boost.
Improved road connectivity will improve the inflow of national and international tourists to the region.
Tawang, is the birth place of the 6th Dalai Lama, and is considered sacred by Buddhists around the globe. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan