Workers of Teesta Urja project going back home
Tung (Sikkim): A large number of workers of
the Teesta Urja hydel power project at Chungthang in North
Sikkim, one of the places worst-affected by last Sunday`s
earthquake, have abandoned their work and set out for their
"It was terrible spending the night at Chungthang (when
earthquake occurred). And when the next morning we started for
Mangan, we found that the road from Chungthang to Mangan was
closed and we had to stay back," SK Manobbar, one of the
workers, said today.
He said that after two days the road was partially open
and they took the enormous risk of trekking all the way to
Mangan, about 15 km away.
"Now I am thinking of taking a public vehicle to Gangtok
and then to Siliguri," Manobbar, who is a resident of Bankura
district in West Bengal, said.
Manobbar said he arrived yesterday along with 29 others,
all workers of the project, at Mangan and is putting up at a
relief camp at nearby Naga.
According to official estimates, around 1,200 people
walked down from Chungtham to safer places in the planes.
Another worker Biswajit Roy, resident of Siliguri in
West Bengal, said they were not paid their salaries by the
company which claimed that unless the road cleared, money
cannot be arranged.
"There is scarcity of food and water and our houses are
damaged as well, but we don`t want to create any ruckus over
this. Our first priority is to get back home," Roy said.
A labour department official here said, "The department
has asked for details from the Teesta Urja company about their
compensation policy and records. We are also visiting general
relief camps to find the details on our own."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues