ZNP, BJP, HPC withdraw from UDF
Aizawl: In a sudden turn of events, the Zoram Nationalist Party (ZNP), BJP and the Hmar People`s Convention (HPC) have withdrawn from the United Democratic Front (UDF).
The formation instead would be in fray from the lone Lok Sabha seat as part of National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
The decision followed the eight-party alliance (UDF) failing to reach consensus on the issue of the common candidate for the alliance.
The Mizo National Front (MNF), the Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC) and the Maraland Democratic Front (MDF) wanted the common candidate for the Lok Sabha polls to be someone having no political affiliation and acceptable to the people while the ZNP wanted to have one of its leaders as the nominee of the UDF.
The ZNP, the BJP and the HPC yesterday signed an MoU to form an alliance and contest the election to the lone Lok Sabha seat and by-election to the Hrangturzo assembly seat to he held on April nine.
MNF legislature party leader and former Lok Sabha member Vanlalzawma said that the MNF and other alliance partner decided to go ahead and contest the coming Parliamentary polls under the banner of the UDF.
The UDF was yet to announce the name of its candidate while the ruling Congress had named the sitting MP CL Ruala as its official nominee for the Lok Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are