11 acquitted in Kandhamal riot case
Phulbani: A local court here acquitted 11 persons due to lack of evidence in a case related to communal riots in Odisha`s Kandhamal district.
Additional District Judge (ADJ), Phulbani Rajendra Kumar Tosh yesterday acquitted all the 11 persons arrested in connection with the murder of Gopan Nayak of Gandagada village under Raikia police station limits in September 9, 2008.
The 11 faced charges ranging from rioting, house burning, unlawful assembly with arms as well as other sections of the IPC.
The police registered a case at Raikia police station against 12 accused involved in the incidents in September 2008.
While the 11 persons were acquitted by the court, one accused is still at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred