11-year jail term for Kandhamal nun rape convict
Cuttack: A local court on Friday sentenced the prime accused in the Kandhamal nun rape case to 11 years of rigorous imprisonment and awarded 26-month jail term to two others.
Cuttack district sessions court judge Gyana Ranjan Purohit also acquitted six other accused due to lack of evidence.
While convicting Mitu Patnaik alias Santosh Patnaik for rape under Section 376 of IPC, the judge sentenced him to imprisonment for 11 years and a fine of Rs 10,000.
In case of non-payment of fine, the convict would have to undergo additional jail term for six months.
Gajendra Digal and Saroj Badhei, two others convicted in the case under IPC Section 354 (Assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) were awarded 26 months in jail.
Six others, who had been chargesheeted by the Crime Branch along with the three convicted persons, were acquitted due to lack of evidence against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan