11-year jail term for Kandhamal nun rape convict
Cuttack: A local court on Friday sentenced the prime accused in the Kandhamal nun rape case to 11 years of rigorous imprisonment and awarded 26-month jail term to two others.
Cuttack district sessions court judge Gyana Ranjan Purohit also acquitted six other accused due to lack of evidence.
While convicting Mitu Patnaik alias Santosh Patnaik for rape under Section 376 of IPC, the judge sentenced him to imprisonment for 11 years and a fine of Rs 10,000.
In case of non-payment of fine, the convict would have to undergo additional jail term for six months.
Gajendra Digal and Saroj Badhei, two others convicted in the case under IPC Section 354 (Assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) were awarded 26 months in jail.
Six others, who had been chargesheeted by the Crime Branch along with the three convicted persons, were acquitted due to lack of evidence against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery