115 child rape cases registered within 59 days in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: At least 115 child rape cases have been registered in 59 days, the month of January and February this year, in Odisha, the state assembly was informed today.
These child rape cases were reported in 30 of the 36 police districts in the state, Women and Child Development Minister Usha Devi said while replying to a written question in the Assembly.
The highest number of 11 child rape cases were registered in Balasore district followed by eight cases in Cuttack and Rourkela police districts each and seven in Nabarangpur district.
Quoting information from home department on the child rape cases, the minister said as many as 2071 girl children were allegedly raped in the state between 2010 and 2012.
While the number of child rape cases was 580 in 2010, it increased to 638 in 2011 and further rose to 853 in 2012, she said.
Though Keonjha district registered the maximum 126 child rape cases in that period, no such case has so far been registered there during the first two months of 2013.
On steps to check the increasing child rape cases, the minister said, "The state government has been implementing provisions under The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012."
"The state government has directed the police to complete investigations of child rape cases as early as possible and submit chargesheets," she said.
This apart, the minister said, the government has made provisions of police patrolling in crowded places, fairs, festivals, parks, schools and colleges, markets, sea beaches and cinema halls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!