13 sentenced to six years RI in Kandhamal riots case
Phulbani (Odisha): A fast track court in Odisha has sentenced 13 persons to six years rigorous imprisonment for their involvement in the 2008 Kandhamal riots.
Pronouncing the judgement yesterday, the court of additional sessions Judge (Fast Track Court-1) Sobhan Kumar Das acquitted six others due to lack of evidence.
The court fined each convict Rs 5,000 or in default RI for another six months.
According to the prosecution, the convicts had torched houses of minorities in Salagduda under Gochhapada police station during Kandhamal riots on September 9, 2008 in the aftermath of the killing of senior VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati at his Jalaspeta ashram in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read