13 sentenced to six years RI in Kandhamal riots case
Phulbani (Odisha): A fast track court in Odisha has sentenced 13 persons to six years rigorous imprisonment for their involvement in the 2008 Kandhamal riots.
Pronouncing the judgement yesterday, the court of additional sessions Judge (Fast Track Court-1) Sobhan Kumar Das acquitted six others due to lack of evidence.
The court fined each convict Rs 5,000 or in default RI for another six months.
According to the prosecution, the convicts had torched houses of minorities in Salagduda under Gochhapada police station during Kandhamal riots on September 9, 2008 in the aftermath of the killing of senior VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati at his Jalaspeta ashram in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000