13 sentenced to six years RI in Kandhamal riots case
Phulbani (Odisha): A fast track court in Odisha has sentenced 13 persons to six years rigorous imprisonment for their involvement in the 2008 Kandhamal riots.
Pronouncing the judgement yesterday, the court of additional sessions Judge (Fast Track Court-1) Sobhan Kumar Das acquitted six others due to lack of evidence.
The court fined each convict Rs 5,000 or in default RI for another six months.
According to the prosecution, the convicts had torched houses of minorities in Salagduda under Gochhapada police station during Kandhamal riots on September 9, 2008 in the aftermath of the killing of senior VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati at his Jalaspeta ashram in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'