13 sentenced to six years RI in Kandhamal riots case
Phulbani (Odisha): A fast track court in Odisha has sentenced 13 persons to six years rigorous imprisonment for their involvement in the 2008 Kandhamal riots.
Pronouncing the judgement yesterday, the court of additional sessions Judge (Fast Track Court-1) Sobhan Kumar Das acquitted six others due to lack of evidence.
The court fined each convict Rs 5,000 or in default RI for another six months.
According to the prosecution, the convicts had torched houses of minorities in Salagduda under Gochhapada police station during Kandhamal riots on September 9, 2008 in the aftermath of the killing of senior VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati at his Jalaspeta ashram in the district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video