133 primary schools face closure threat in Odisha
Kendrapara: Plagued by abysmally low student strength and steady rate of dropout, 133 government-run primary schools are facing the threat of closure in Kendrapara district of Odisha.
These schools thrive on paper only with exceedingly poor enrolment which has necessitated shutting down these institutions.
The Education department has decied to close down 49 primary schools after the issue of poor enrolment was reviewed at a high level meeting recently. As per the prescribed yardstick, 133 schools were found to have a student strength of less than 25.
However, it was decided to run 84 schools as these were disadvantageously located, District Project Coordinator of Sarva Sikhya Abhiyana, Nirmal Kumar Das, said.
Teachers get `undeclared` holiday as students do not turn up. The schools to be closed would be merged with nearby government-run schools in terms of students. The teaching staff would also be accordingly shifted, said an official.
Every year there has been consistent decline in roll strength in almost all the schools. As the department claims, 1.62 lakh students are enrolled in 1900 government schools. The overall enrolment (1.62 lakh) figure is being believed to be on a higher side.
Bogus enrolment has become the order of the day. It has double advantage. With increased roll strength, teachers manage to cling on to their choice posting without being disturbed. Besides the MDM quota and other students friendly schemes are a bonus with bogus student`s quota grabbed by concerned teachers.
As children are better taught in nearby schools, parents have stopped sending their wards to these schools, they added. For all practical purpose, the primary education here has lost its sheen. Disillusioned parents repose little faith in the much touted free education, quipped Dr Basudev Das, noted educationist.
For obvious reason, the focus is steadily shifting towards private public schools for qualitative education, Das said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what