15 arrested for stealing alumina powder worth Rs two crore
Rayagada (Odisha): Fifteen people were arrested for stealing alumina powder, estimated to be worth Rs 2 crore, from the bogie of a goods train at Ladda railway station in Rayagada district, police said on Sunday.
A truck, an auto-rickshaw and two mini-trucks used in transporting the stolen item were also seized from the spot on Friday night.
The consignment was being transported from Nalco alumina refinery at Damanjodi in Koraput district to Vishakhapatnam port by train when the theft occurred.
"Around midnight, the miscreants broke open the lock of a bogie of the train which had halted at Ladda station, and looted the material. They had filled the looted items in sacks and were loading it in vehicles, when caught," said Inspector In-Charge of Rayagada police station, Tapan Mohanty.
"The stolen item was valued at around Rs two crore," he added.
The stolen alumina powder weighed about 22 tonnes, a senior Railway Protection Force (RPF) official said.
Possible involvement of any railway officials in the robbery is under investigation and details will be known once the inquiry is over, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city