15 arrested for stealing alumina powder worth Rs two crore
Rayagada (Odisha): Fifteen people were arrested for stealing alumina powder, estimated to be worth Rs 2 crore, from the bogie of a goods train at Ladda railway station in Rayagada district, police said on Sunday.
A truck, an auto-rickshaw and two mini-trucks used in transporting the stolen item were also seized from the spot on Friday night.
The consignment was being transported from Nalco alumina refinery at Damanjodi in Koraput district to Vishakhapatnam port by train when the theft occurred.
"Around midnight, the miscreants broke open the lock of a bogie of the train which had halted at Ladda station, and looted the material. They had filled the looted items in sacks and were loading it in vehicles, when caught," said Inspector In-Charge of Rayagada police station, Tapan Mohanty.
"The stolen item was valued at around Rs two crore," he added.
The stolen alumina powder weighed about 22 tonnes, a senior Railway Protection Force (RPF) official said.
Possible involvement of any railway officials in the robbery is under investigation and details will be known once the inquiry is over, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees