15 year-old tortured in custody, departmental custody ordered
Kendrapara (Odisha): A 15-year-old Dalit boy was allegedly tortured in custody in Odisha`s Kendrapara district triggering an outrage among locals.
Ranjan Jena of Rajagada village, a Class IX student of a government high school, was summoned to Rajnagar Police Station for allegedly playing on the road with his friends on Monday.
He was allegedly made to do sit-ups and then beaten up in front of his father and other villagers inside the police station by a police officer.
The boy was later hospitalised.
His father Gopinath alleged the boy was beaten black and blue inside the police station. "My son is physically and mentally hurt," he said.
Local police, however, alleged that the boy was a perpetual mischief monger and to discipline him he was asked to do the sit-ups.
Kendrapara superintendent of police Sarthak Sadangi said allegations regarding police excesses were being looked into and disciplinary proceedings would be initiated against the accused official in the event of the inquiry finding him guilty.
Official sources today said State Human Rights Commission has also sought detailed report on the incident following the outrage among the people and demands for punishment of the concerned police officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi