15 year-old tortured in custody, departmental custody ordered
Kendrapara (Odisha): A 15-year-old Dalit boy was allegedly tortured in custody in Odisha`s Kendrapara district triggering an outrage among locals.
Ranjan Jena of Rajagada village, a Class IX student of a government high school, was summoned to Rajnagar Police Station for allegedly playing on the road with his friends on Monday.
He was allegedly made to do sit-ups and then beaten up in front of his father and other villagers inside the police station by a police officer.
The boy was later hospitalised.
His father Gopinath alleged the boy was beaten black and blue inside the police station. "My son is physically and mentally hurt," he said.
Local police, however, alleged that the boy was a perpetual mischief monger and to discipline him he was asked to do the sit-ups.
Kendrapara superintendent of police Sarthak Sadangi said allegations regarding police excesses were being looked into and disciplinary proceedings would be initiated against the accused official in the event of the inquiry finding him guilty.
Official sources today said State Human Rights Commission has also sought detailed report on the incident following the outrage among the people and demands for punishment of the concerned police officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion