17 Bangladeshi fishermen rescued in Odisha
Berhampur: At least 17 fishermen from Bangladesh were rescued by locals after their fishing boat developed a snag in the deep-sea, about 50 km from here on Friday, police said.
After being rescued by local fishermen, they took shelter at the multi-purpose cyclone shelter centre at Podampeta.
The fishermen from Bangladesh were in trouble in deep-sea as the fan belt of their fishing trawler was damaged about three days ago under the influence of the cyclone Nilam.
When they were trying to come to the shore, local fishermen rescued them, said SP (Ganjam) Ashish Singh.
They were without food for the last three to four days as their ration had finished.
They were inside the sea for 29 days before reaching Ganjam coast, he said.
They are safe and the police administration has started investigation on their actual identities, said a revenue officer.
District collector Krishan Kumar rushed to Podampeta and talked with the rescued Bangladeshis. The administration would provide all possible help to them, he said.
Police was planning to shift them to the marine police station at Arjeepalli.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH