1,731 houses damaged in Kalahandi floods
Bhawanipatna: With flood waters of Hati river receding in most places of Kalahandi, the district administration on Wednesday said a total 1,731 houses have been affected in the calamity besides damage caused to 165 roads and culverts due to flash flood in three blocks.
Official sources said about 30,000 people living in 63 villages in Kalampur, Junagarh and Jaipatna blocks have been hit by the flash flood.
"About 1,650 houses are partially damaged, 50 severely damaged and 31 fully damaged in the flood and torrential rain in the district as per the preliminary assessment," said Kalahandi district collector Govind Candra Sethy.
He said in the interior areas of Thuamul Rampur block rural connectivity was badly affected.
The right main canal of Indravati project had breached in four places and at two points at Brahman Kenduguda near Kalampur, he said, adding it was now a priority to repair this canal in view of the Kharif season.
Meanwhile, the waters of Tel river is swelling and low lying areas of Patharla and some areas of Belkhandi, located in the confluence of Tel and Utei rivers and famous for its Shiva shrine, have been submerged by its water.
Bhawanipatna sub-collector Satyanarayan Dash, who visited Belkhandi said the eighth century Shiva temple is surrounded by water and five persons who were stranded in it have been rescued by Odisha disaster rapid action force.
The situation is, however, under control and revenue and irrigation officials have been asked to keep close watch, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!