18 held after immolation bid near Patnaik`s residence
Bhubaneswar: At least 18 people, including six women, were arrested after a woman tried to set herself on fire at a protest near the official residence of Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik here, police said on Thursday.
Rina Pradhan, 32, on Wednesday poured kerosene and tried to set herself on fire near the Chief Minister`s residence Naveen Nivas in Bhubaneswar. She complained of police inaction over her brother`s killing about three months ago.
She was accompanied by several others of her Dholapathar village in Khurda district, about 25 km from here.
Police whisked her away when she was about to light a matchstick, a police officer told a news agency. Police arrested her and 17 others after the incident, he said.
Her brother, Ramakanta Bailarsingh, was found dead on a railway track near their village on September 20.
Although police said it was a case of suicide, Rina and villagers have been demanding a probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...