23000 food packets air dropped in flood-hit Orissa
New Delhi: The government has air dropped
more than 23,000 food packets for flood-affected people in
10 districts of Orissa where 542 relief camps have been set up
to accommodate 1,73,000 people.
So far 27 people lost their lives in Jajpur, Bhadrak,
Kendrapara, Baleswar, Mayurbhanj, Keonjhar, Sundergarh, Angul,
Dhenkanal and Deogarh districts due to floods in the rivers
Boodabalang, Suwarnrekha, Brahmani and Batrani, a Home
Ministry official said.
"542 relief camps have been set up where 1,73,337 people
have been accommodated. Besides, 23,509 food packets -- each
packet of 5 kg consisting of flattened rice, jaggery,
biscuits, candles, matchbox, halogen tablets, ORS packets and
salt -- have been dropped," the official said.
Rescue and relief operations are continuing in the flood
affected areas. 13 teams of National Disaster Response Force
with 393 men and 78 boats are carrying out rescue and relief
NDRF has rescued or evacuated 3,834 persons till date,
the official said. Four MI-17 helicopters were deployed for
air dropping of food packets and rescue operations.
The water level in the flood affected areas of Jajpur has
receded by two feet, while in Kendrapada the water level is
steady and in Bhadrak only 2 blocks are flooded.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists