24 children die of mysterious disease in Odisha district
Malkangiri: With 24 children dying of a mysterious disease during last two months in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, the government has launched a drive to create health awareness and conduct medical examination in the tribal-dominated district.
"We have collected blood, water and mosquito samples in the affected areas to ascertain the reason behind the death and augmented the drive to create health awareness among the people", chief district medical officer (CDMO), Sashibhushan Panda said.
24 children aged between six months and four years died in some villages under Malkangiri and Korkunda blocks. They had swelling in their eyes, nose and ears accompanied by high fever and blood vomiting leading to death, he said.
A six-member expert team of scientists from Regional Medical Research Centre (RMRC), Bhubaneswar visited the affected villages and collected samples for investigation.
Another team of doctors from the MKCG Medical College Hospital at Berhampur was touring the areas today.
"There is no death of children since the last three days and the situation is under control now", the CDMO said.
A team official on condition of annonymity said that the symptoms afflicting the children were akin to Japanese Encephalities or Dengue. However, it could be known only after a thorough investigation of the colected samples, he said.
Even as the district administration was initiating steps to urge the people to get their children to hospitals, the people, mostly tribals, were blaming withcraft for their troubles.
"It is an herculean task to create awareness among the people in the district. They have faith in their "Disari" (quack), "Wade" and "Gunia" (black magician) and perform "Dumapuja" (invoking the spirit). They believe that whoever goes to the hospital will invite the curse of their deity", an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Did you know? India's first bullet train will run under water
- Selfie time! Alia Bhatt freezes frame with Shah Rukh Khan and Gauri Shinde's team – Pic inside
- If Priyanka Gandhi takes charge of Congress then BJP will face tough challenge: Ramdev
- 'Jai Hind' – this is how Air India will wish passengers now!
- Government vows to crack down on super-rich tax evaders