26 families return to Posco site
Kendrapara (Odisha): Uneasy calm prevails at
Gobindpur in the proposed site for Posco steel plant in
Odisha`s Jagatsinghpur district even after the return of 26
pro-project families to their native village after over two
years of life elsewhere.
While the homecoming of these families is being seen as
weakening of movement against the mega project, an air of
uncertainty looms in Gobindpur under Dhinkia Gram panchayat,
the epicentre of anti-Posco stir.
Fear of recurrence of violence grips the just-returned
families while many are hopeful about return of good old days
of peaceful co-existence.
"We have got reports of over 20 families returning to
Gobindpur, (four years) after these permanent residents were
driven out of their houses in 2007. It`s a positive
development. We hope that 52 other families presently staying
in Badabagapur transit colony would return to Patana village
soon," Additional District Magistrate, Paradip, Surajeet Das
The families were literally hounded out of their houses
by opponents of Posco project.
While some were living in Badabagapur Posco-transit
colony, the rest had sought safe refuge in relatives` houses.
As the families, which had earlier paid the price for
supporting the steel project, are slowly picking threads of
life with their homecoming, the opponents of Posco project are
apparently not in a mood to take the things in their stride.
"The atmosphere is still hostile and unfriendly. The
officials have not come forward to provide us security", said
Manindra Rout, a local driven out of the village four years
"After receiving consent from majority of residents of
Gobindpur, we have returned to our village last week. We have
not faced any hostility so far but we are scared. Anti-Posco
activists are mobilizing the people to against us," said Baina
Mohanty, another local.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?