40 taken ill after chlorine gas leak in Orissa
Berhampur: Over 40 people, including women
and children, were taken ill and some of them fell unconscious
after chlorine gas leaked from a cylinder of water supply
department today, officials said here.
The affected persons included school children, women,
government officials and media persons, they said.
The cylinder, belonging to water supply department of
Paralakhemundi in Gajapati district was kept here for filling.
Chlorine gas is used to purify water inside tanks.
"We suspect that a small quantity of gas left in the
900-litre capacity cylinder, brought for filling, leaked when
someone tried to fiddle with its brass nozzle," executive
engineer, urban drinking water supply department, D S
Mohapatra said here.
Panic gripped the area after the gas spread over a
radius of about 200 meters and plants in the area turned
yellowish after being exposed to it.
The affected people complained of nausea and vomiting
while several fell unconscious. They were admitted to MKCG
Medical College and Hospital here.
While some were discharged after first aid, several
others are undergoing treatment. Their condition is stable,
hospital superintendent J K Behera said.
My head was reeling, when I tried to lock the
cylinder," a department employee Debaraj Kothia said.
Maguni Behera, a constable of the fire station here,
said he also felt similar when he tried to spray water.
Many panic-stricken people were spotted leaving their
localities after the gas leaked. District administration also
ordered closure of schools in nearby areas.
"Although spread of the gas subsided, we ordered for
the closure of schools in nearby areas as a precautionary
measure," said sub-collector (Berhampur) Ajit Mishra.
He said there was no cause of panic as the
administration has taken immediate steps to tackle it.
Fire personnel were also engaged to spray water in the
area, while personnel of the gas supplying company reached the
spot to take the cylinder away, he added.
Meanwhile, Gopalpur MLA Pradip Panigrahi demanded a
high-level inquiry to ascertain the cause of the gas leak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes