40 taken ill after inhaling toxic gas
Balasore (Odisha): At least 40 people
were taken ill after inhaling toxic gas leaked from a
pesticide plant at Maitapur in Simulia area of Odisha`s
Balasore district, the police said.
The incident occurred last night when some solid
chemical substances were being boiled to prepare ingredients
for manufacturing pesticides.
However, the gas generated in the process
accidentally leaked from a pipe. After inhaling the gas about
40 persons complained of chest pain, nausea and vomiting.
Three people were immediately admitted to the local
PHC while others were discharged after being administered
first aid, sources said.
Sub-divisional police officer (SDPO), Balasore Sadar,
Kailash Chandra Parida said: "The affected people who came in
contact with the toxic gas last night, were immediately
provided medical help and the situation now is normal."
Fire brigade from Bhadrak were pressed into service
after the incident was reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?