40 taken ill after inhaling toxic gas
Balasore (Odisha): At least 40 people
were taken ill after inhaling toxic gas leaked from a
pesticide plant at Maitapur in Simulia area of Odisha`s
Balasore district, the police said.
The incident occurred last night when some solid
chemical substances were being boiled to prepare ingredients
for manufacturing pesticides.
However, the gas generated in the process
accidentally leaked from a pipe. After inhaling the gas about
40 persons complained of chest pain, nausea and vomiting.
Three people were immediately admitted to the local
PHC while others were discharged after being administered
first aid, sources said.
Sub-divisional police officer (SDPO), Balasore Sadar,
Kailash Chandra Parida said: "The affected people who came in
contact with the toxic gas last night, were immediately
provided medical help and the situation now is normal."
Fire brigade from Bhadrak were pressed into service
after the incident was reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- IPL 9: Rohit Sharma vows Mumbai Indians will make a strong comeback next season
- Narendra Modi in Tehran: India, Iran joint statement - Full Text
- Toll from Sri Lanka floods, landslides rises to 92
- Paryavaran Bhawan to be renamed Deendayal Antyodaya Bhawan
- Akhilesh warns of attempts to vitiate UP's atmosphere before polls