435 people, 139 Maoists killed in Odisha in 14 years: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Maoist ultras have killed 435 persons including 210 police personnel during the last 14 years while the security personnel eliminated 139 rebels during the same time, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Monday said.
Patnaik said this while replying to a written question of BJP`s Dilip Ray in the Assembly.
"Maoist activities of different magnitude are witnessed in certain pockets of 19 districts of Odisha," Patnaik said.
While giving details on killings by the Left Wing ultras, the Chief Minister said 210 security personnel were killed and 218 others were injured in Maoist violence.
Similarly, 225 civilians were killed and 119 others had sustained injuries in Maoist attacks, he said.
During the period, Patnaik said 1,916 ultras, militia, supporters and assistants of the Maoists have been arrested while 355 rebels surrendered before the police in between 2000 and 2013.
The Maoists during the period have looted 1,907 guns and about 1,72,656 bullets during different incidents, Patnaik said adding the personnel of both the state and the central government have been engaged in anti-Maoist operations in the state.
- Protests in Manipur over unsolved murders
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: We are investigating former IAF chief SP Tyagi's bank accounts, asset details, says CBI
- WATCH: Unbelievable cricket moment- Batsman scores 18 runs off 1 ball!
- Syrian conflict in many ways out of control, warns John Kerry
- Rupee falls 11 paise to 66.44 Vs US dollar