5 held for forging caste certificates in Odisha
Berhampur (Odisha): Five persons, including a woman teacher and her father, were arrested in Odisha`s Kandhamal district on Monday on charges of forging their caste certificates and getting government benefits.
Police said Debendra Pradhan, a retired teacher and his daughter Raisa Pradhan, a teacher in Kalinga nodal upper primary school, Kameswara Mallick, 60, and his two brothers Alakash and Ispan of Dakabadu village, were the five accused having created forged documents.
Kandhamal Superintendent of Police, K V Singh said they were arrested yesterday on basis of an FIR lodged by the district welfare officer (DWO), Kandhamal.
The DWO lodged an FIR after the state level scrutiny committee (SLSC), inquiring into the fake caste certificate issue confirmed the forgery.
While Pradhan and his daughter had got the teacher job by producing fake caste certificates, the other three had availed of government benefits. With this, the number of arrested persons in fake caste certificate cases in the district has gone up to 25 in the last two years, police said.
Kui Samaj Samanwaya Samiti (KSSS), a tribal outfit, has been demanding action against people getting government benefits by producing fake tribal certificates since last five years. The tribal outfit has identified around 1,000 such persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Brexit fears: Asia markets collapse as Britain looks set to leave EU
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Alia Bhatt new BFFs in B-Town? Here's why
- UK markets plunge, sterling eyes biggest ever fall, as EU vote in balance
- India focusing on market dislocations from Brexit: Jayant Sinha
- Factbox: Five questions for Britain and Europe after Brexit vote