50 persons had died in 2008 Kandhamal violence
Bhubaneswar: The riots in Orissa`s Kandhamal
district in 2008 had claimed a total of 50 lives, which was 12
more than the earlier estimate.
While 38 persons were killed in the riots, eight had died
in terrorist violence, three in police firing and one of
injuries received from stone pelting in the disturbances that
went on for two months from August 2008, Special Administrator
for Kandhamal district M S Padhi said today.
Among the eight categorised as victims of terrorist
violence were VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati and four of his
disciples including a woman, he said.
The killing of Saraswati on August 23, 2008 had led to the
riots in district and other parts of the state.
"The family of the each deceased person was given an
ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh," Padhi said.
The ex-gratia comprised Rs 2 lakh from the chief
minister`s relief fund and Rs 3 lakh from the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'