50 persons had died in 2008 Kandhamal violence
Bhubaneswar: The riots in Orissa`s Kandhamal
district in 2008 had claimed a total of 50 lives, which was 12
more than the earlier estimate.
While 38 persons were killed in the riots, eight had died
in terrorist violence, three in police firing and one of
injuries received from stone pelting in the disturbances that
went on for two months from August 2008, Special Administrator
for Kandhamal district M S Padhi said today.
Among the eight categorised as victims of terrorist
violence were VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati and four of his
disciples including a woman, he said.
The killing of Saraswati on August 23, 2008 had led to the
riots in district and other parts of the state.
"The family of the each deceased person was given an
ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh," Padhi said.
The ex-gratia comprised Rs 2 lakh from the chief
minister`s relief fund and Rs 3 lakh from the Centre.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?