50 persons had died in 2008 Kandhamal violence
Bhubaneswar: The riots in Orissa`s Kandhamal
district in 2008 had claimed a total of 50 lives, which was 12
more than the earlier estimate.
While 38 persons were killed in the riots, eight had died
in terrorist violence, three in police firing and one of
injuries received from stone pelting in the disturbances that
went on for two months from August 2008, Special Administrator
for Kandhamal district M S Padhi said today.
Among the eight categorised as victims of terrorist
violence were VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati and four of his
disciples including a woman, he said.
The killing of Saraswati on August 23, 2008 had led to the
riots in district and other parts of the state.
"The family of the each deceased person was given an
ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh," Padhi said.
The ex-gratia comprised Rs 2 lakh from the chief
minister`s relief fund and Rs 3 lakh from the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown