69% votes polled for Odisha panchayat election
Bhubaneswar: About 69 per cent voters
exercised their franchise in the second phase of panchayat
polls in Odisha on Monday which was by and large peaceful barring stray
incidents of violence and snatching of ballot boxes.
"An estimated 69 per cent of the 56.54 lakh electorate
voted in the second phase of panchayat elections held in 83
blocks spread over 30 districts," state Election Commissioner
Ajit Tripathy told reporters here.
Sonepur district registered the maximum turnout of 83
per cent, while Cuttack district recorded the minimum 60 per
The second phase of polling was held for 197 zilla
parishads and 1,475 gram panchayats. The elections for the
remaining three phases are slated to be held on February 15,
17 and 19. The first phase was held on February 11.
Polling passed off by and large peacefully barring
stray violence as at least eight persons including six
policemen were attacked by a mob and injured hours before
voting began in Kendrapara district, police said.
However, polling passed off peacefully during the day
with no reports of booth capturing, poll rigging and loot of
In Jajpur district, polling in Rasulpur and Korei
blocks was marked by attempted rigging, snatching of ballot
box and ballot papers, the police said.
In Rasulpur block, miscreants snatched ballot boxes
from booth no-1 in Naguan village under Nathuabar panchayat
and later dumped it in a nearby pond after polling was over.
A group of people also locked polling personnel in
booth no-2 of Nathuabar panchayat, they said.
Violence broke out in Rasulpur block in the district
leading to halt in voting as miscreants tried to capture
booths in Bandhadiha panchayat.
Polling was suspended also at booth no-5 of Bandhadiha
panchayat after some miscreants barged into the booth and
snatched away many ballot papers.
Polling was also stalled for three hours at a booth
of the same panchayat due to alleged rigging.
Re-polling has been recommended in three booths in
Rasulpur block, two booths at Bandhadiha and one booth at
Nathuabar panchayat, Jajpur collector Anil Kumar Samal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in