87 prisoners appear for IGNOU final exam in Odisha
Berhampur: Altogether 87 inmates of several jails in southern Odisha have appeared for the Indira Gandhi National Open University`s (IGNOU) term-end examinations.
"Jail inmates from Bhanjanagar in Ganjam district, Boudh, Paralakhemundi in Gajapati district and Rayagada appeared in the examinations for master and bachelor degree programmes and certificate course in information technology and human rights at the Berhampur Circle Jail," its Senior Superintendent Rghunath Majhi said.
"Besides Berhampur, IGNOU has set up examination centres in three other prisons. A total of 23 inmates of Jharpada jail in Bhubaneswar, eight of Balasore and two of Choudwar jail are taking the exams," IGNOU Regional Director S K Tripathy said.
The examinations which began yesterday will conclude on June 28.
"IGNOU opened study and examination centres in Berhampur in 2004 to allow inmates pursue higher education," said its Jailor Rabindra Nath Roul.
The Board of Secondary Education and the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) have also set up examination centres in the jail.
"The NIOS opened its first study centre in Berhampur in 2010," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’