87 prisoners appear for IGNOU final exam in Odisha
Berhampur: Altogether 87 inmates of several jails in southern Odisha have appeared for the Indira Gandhi National Open University`s (IGNOU) term-end examinations.
"Jail inmates from Bhanjanagar in Ganjam district, Boudh, Paralakhemundi in Gajapati district and Rayagada appeared in the examinations for master and bachelor degree programmes and certificate course in information technology and human rights at the Berhampur Circle Jail," its Senior Superintendent Rghunath Majhi said.
"Besides Berhampur, IGNOU has set up examination centres in three other prisons. A total of 23 inmates of Jharpada jail in Bhubaneswar, eight of Balasore and two of Choudwar jail are taking the exams," IGNOU Regional Director S K Tripathy said.
The examinations which began yesterday will conclude on June 28.
"IGNOU opened study and examination centres in Berhampur in 2004 to allow inmates pursue higher education," said its Jailor Rabindra Nath Roul.
The Board of Secondary Education and the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) have also set up examination centres in the jail.
"The NIOS opened its first study centre in Berhampur in 2010," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Israel media: Police recommend indicting Netanyahu's wife
- Watch video: Giant Gorilla shot and killed to save 4-year-old child!
- AAP MLA Jagdeep Singh arrested on assault charges, later released on bail
- Red Bull apologise to Daniel Ricciardo for pit-stop bungle at Monaco
- Have you ever encountered death? These people did and were lucky to survive it – Watch