Accused in nun rape case arrested
Bhubaneswar: One of the accused in the
alleged rape of a Catholic nun in Orissa`s Kandhamal district
in August 28 has been arrested from K Nuagaon area, a senior
police officer said on Tuesday.
The accused, Gururam Patra, was arrested on Sunday,
Orissa police Crime Branch officer Dilip Mohanty said.
He was produced in court yesterday and remanded to
Patra, a BJP functionary in K Nuagaon area, did his
schooling at the Bishop Tobar Hostel in Raikia in Kandhamal,
church sources said.
With this the total number of arrests in the case has
gone up to 19.
The 29-year-old nun was allegedly raped at K Nuagaon
under Baliguda police station area in Kandhamal during a bandh
on August 25, 2008, two days after the killing of VHP leader
Swami Laxamananda Saraswati.
Patra allegedly led the mob that destroyed churches
and Christian institutions including one where the victim
and a priest were staying on the day of the incident.
Three of the accused persons have been identified by
the nun in identification parades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok