Accused in nun rape case arrested
Bhubaneswar: One of the accused in the
alleged rape of a Catholic nun in Orissa`s Kandhamal district
in August 28 has been arrested from K Nuagaon area, a senior
police officer said on Tuesday.
The accused, Gururam Patra, was arrested on Sunday,
Orissa police Crime Branch officer Dilip Mohanty said.
He was produced in court yesterday and remanded to
Patra, a BJP functionary in K Nuagaon area, did his
schooling at the Bishop Tobar Hostel in Raikia in Kandhamal,
church sources said.
With this the total number of arrests in the case has
gone up to 19.
The 29-year-old nun was allegedly raped at K Nuagaon
under Baliguda police station area in Kandhamal during a bandh
on August 25, 2008, two days after the killing of VHP leader
Swami Laxamananda Saraswati.
Patra allegedly led the mob that destroyed churches
and Christian institutions including one where the victim
and a priest were staying on the day of the incident.
Three of the accused persons have been identified by
the nun in identification parades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days