Accused in Orissa nun rape case arrested
Bhubaneswar: One of the accused in the
alleged rape of a Catholic nun in Orissa`s Kandhamal district
in August 28 has been arrested from K Nuagaon area, a senior
police officer said on Tuesday.
The accused, Gururam Patra, was arrested on Sunday,
Orissa police Crime Branch officer Dilip Mohanty told agency.
He was produced in court yesterday and remanded to
Patra, a BJP functionary in K Nuagaon area, did his
schooling at the Bishop Tobar Hostel in Raikia in Kandhamal,
church sources said.
With this the total number of arrests in the case has
gone up to 19.
The 29-year-old nun was allegedly raped at K Nuagaon
under Baliguda police station area in Kandhamal during a bandh
on August 25, 2008, two days after the killing of VHP leader
Swami Laxamananda Saraswati.
Patra allegedly led the mob that destroyed churches
and Christian institutions including one where the victim
and a priest were staying on the day of the incident.
Three of the accused persons have been identified by
the nun in identification parades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics