After graft claims, Orissa to monitor jobs scheme
Bhubaneswar: Orissa, which has already ordered a CBI probe into allegations of rampant corruption in the rural jobs scheme, has also formed a group to monitor the scheme`s working in the state, a senior official said Wednesday.
S.K. Lohani, director of special project of the Panchayati Raj department, said the government would also examine the best practices being followed by other states in the execution of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
"We have already registered the `MGNREGS Society` for overall supervision of the scheme," he said about the monitoring group.
"The chief secretary and the Panchayati Raj department secretary are the governing body chairman and executive body chairman of the society respectively," Lohani said.
"The society is likely to meet some time this month," he said.
The central government Monday informed the Supreme Court that it has ordered the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to probe allegations of irregularities and misappropriation of funds in the implementation of the MGNREGS in Orissa.
New Delhi-based NGO Centre for Environment and Food Security, in its survey, found that funds were being siphoned off in the state by corrupt officials, thereby denying lakhs of poor people their fundamental right to livelihood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday