After graft claims, Orissa to monitor jobs scheme
Bhubaneswar: Orissa, which has already ordered a CBI probe into allegations of rampant corruption in the rural jobs scheme, has also formed a group to monitor the scheme`s working in the state, a senior official said Wednesday.
S.K. Lohani, director of special project of the Panchayati Raj department, said the government would also examine the best practices being followed by other states in the execution of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
"We have already registered the `MGNREGS Society` for overall supervision of the scheme," he said about the monitoring group.
"The chief secretary and the Panchayati Raj department secretary are the governing body chairman and executive body chairman of the society respectively," Lohani said.
"The society is likely to meet some time this month," he said.
The central government Monday informed the Supreme Court that it has ordered the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to probe allegations of irregularities and misappropriation of funds in the implementation of the MGNREGS in Orissa.
New Delhi-based NGO Centre for Environment and Food Security, in its survey, found that funds were being siphoned off in the state by corrupt officials, thereby denying lakhs of poor people their fundamental right to livelihood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note