After waiting for over a decade, teacher gets appointment
Cuttack: On the directive of the High Court, the Odisha School and Mass Education department has appointed a woman in government school, in a day`s time, after the teacher waited for 14-years despite being selected for the post.
Aratibala Harichandan was given the appointment letter inside the court premises, engaging her as a `Ganaa Sikshyak` in Naramanabi Project UP School under Tangi block of Khurda district after her endless wait for the document ever since she was selected for the post way back in 1999.
The ball set rolling as a single judge bench of Justice B R Sarangi of the High Court refused to grant even a day?s time to the government saying if the December 4 order of the High Court is not complied within two hours, then the officials would face the consequence of contempt of court charges.
While admitting the petition of Manjulata, the HC had issued a notice to the state earlier and the government in an affidavit had informed the HC that Aratibala was selected for the post on the basis of her merit.
Before Aratibala was given appointment, another candidate namely Manjulata Behera had challenged the selection of Aratibala and approached the High Court but the government had maintained Manjulata`s contention had no substance.
Once the court passed the directive, Khurda district Project Coordinator of `Sarva Sikshya Abhijan` Gadadhar Behera and other officials held a camp office of the department inside the premises of the High Court and typed the appointment letter and handed it over to Aratibala before the court resumed after lunch at 2 pm, yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- Turkish PM retracts compensation offer for downed Russia jet
- AAP will win 35 of Goa's 40 seats in Assembly polls: Arvind Kejriwal
- Rio Olympics 2016: World No.1 golfer Jason Day withdraws over Zika virus fears
- Banks asset quality stress needs to be dealt first: RBI Governor
- Congress accuses TMC government of taking soft stand on BJP