After waiting for over a decade, teacher gets appointment
Cuttack: On the directive of the High Court, the Odisha School and Mass Education department has appointed a woman in government school, in a day`s time, after the teacher waited for 14-years despite being selected for the post.
Aratibala Harichandan was given the appointment letter inside the court premises, engaging her as a `Ganaa Sikshyak` in Naramanabi Project UP School under Tangi block of Khurda district after her endless wait for the document ever since she was selected for the post way back in 1999.
The ball set rolling as a single judge bench of Justice B R Sarangi of the High Court refused to grant even a day?s time to the government saying if the December 4 order of the High Court is not complied within two hours, then the officials would face the consequence of contempt of court charges.
While admitting the petition of Manjulata, the HC had issued a notice to the state earlier and the government in an affidavit had informed the HC that Aratibala was selected for the post on the basis of her merit.
Before Aratibala was given appointment, another candidate namely Manjulata Behera had challenged the selection of Aratibala and approached the High Court but the government had maintained Manjulata`s contention had no substance.
Once the court passed the directive, Khurda district Project Coordinator of `Sarva Sikshya Abhijan` Gadadhar Behera and other officials held a camp office of the department inside the premises of the High Court and typed the appointment letter and handed it over to Aratibala before the court resumed after lunch at 2 pm, yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what