After waiting for over a decade, teacher gets appointment
Cuttack: On the directive of the High Court, the Odisha School and Mass Education department has appointed a woman in government school, in a day`s time, after the teacher waited for 14-years despite being selected for the post.
Aratibala Harichandan was given the appointment letter inside the court premises, engaging her as a `Ganaa Sikshyak` in Naramanabi Project UP School under Tangi block of Khurda district after her endless wait for the document ever since she was selected for the post way back in 1999.
The ball set rolling as a single judge bench of Justice B R Sarangi of the High Court refused to grant even a day?s time to the government saying if the December 4 order of the High Court is not complied within two hours, then the officials would face the consequence of contempt of court charges.
While admitting the petition of Manjulata, the HC had issued a notice to the state earlier and the government in an affidavit had informed the HC that Aratibala was selected for the post on the basis of her merit.
Before Aratibala was given appointment, another candidate namely Manjulata Behera had challenged the selection of Aratibala and approached the High Court but the government had maintained Manjulata`s contention had no substance.
Once the court passed the directive, Khurda district Project Coordinator of `Sarva Sikshya Abhijan` Gadadhar Behera and other officials held a camp office of the department inside the premises of the High Court and typed the appointment letter and handed it over to Aratibala before the court resumed after lunch at 2 pm, yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!