Agitators stall work for second day at Posco site
Paradip: Agitators stalled work for the second day on Monday at Posco`s mega steel plant project in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur district as prohibitory orders were clamped.
Slogan-shouting youths, women and children marched to
Noliasahi-Polang area in the Nuagaon panchayat where the boundary wall and rehabilitation colonies were being built and demanded that work be halted immediately, officials said.
Land acquisition has been `temporarily halted` since June 21, while work on land already acquired is continuing.
Three vehicles being used for the work were forced by villagers to drive to Nuagaon as about 200 armed police
deployed nearby did not intervene, they said.
Additional District Magistrate, Paradip, Sarojkanta Choudhury said that the agitation was unlawful as prohibitory orders were in force.
The imposition of prohibitory orders was announced over public address system and the protesters asked to leave or face police action.
Soumendra Nayak, samiti member of the Nuagaon
panchayat said since the government did not fulfil the six
demands made by pro-Posco Unified Action Committee (UAC), people stopped the construction work.
"We will not allow construction in the area until our demands are fulfilled," Nayak said.
UAC`s demands include proper rehabilitation for the
families who have lost their land, increased compensation and employment to at least one member from each family.
State-owned Industrial Infrastructure Development
Corporation (IDCO) in-charge in the area, Ratan Agarwal said the state government would construct the boundary walls and rehabilitation colonies and hand it over to Posco.
In the first phase, Rs three crore has been sanctioned
and contract for the construction given to a private firm
BMC Pvt Ltd of Paradip.
Police, on the other hand, staged a flag-march near
Gobindpur in the Dhinkia panchayat area where a dharna in on by the Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS) where they were joined by BJP supporters led by state state chief Jual Oram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi