Alert sounded along Odisha coast
Bhubaneswar: An alert was sounded along
the Odisha coast on Wednesday with warnings issued to fishermen and
people following the massive earthquake off Sumatra coast.
The alert was issued to the administration in six
districts - Balasore, Bhadrak, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara,
Ganjam and Puri, Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) P K
Though there is no cause for worry, the government may
take steps to evacuate people in some coastal areas if
necessary due to the possibility of high tides, he said adding
people, particularly tourists, have been asked to remain
Fishermen have been asked not to venture into the sea as
a precautionary measure, Mohapatra said.
In the tourist sea shore town of Puri and other places,
announcements were made over public address systems asking
people not to venture into the sea. Tourists were asked to
stay away from the sea, officials said.
Alerts were also issued in the port town of Paradip as
well as Gopalpur and Astarang.
Mild tremors were felt in different parts of Odisha,
including the state capital, here following the massive
earthquake in Sumatra.
Apart from Bhubaneswar, places like Cuttack, Khurda,
Nayagarh, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara and Bhadrak were shaken.
There was no report of casualty or damage from
anywhere in the state, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?