Alert sounded along Odisha coast
Bhubaneswar: An alert was sounded along
the Odisha coast on Wednesday with warnings issued to fishermen and
people following the massive earthquake off Sumatra coast.
The alert was issued to the administration in six
districts - Balasore, Bhadrak, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara,
Ganjam and Puri, Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) P K
Though there is no cause for worry, the government may
take steps to evacuate people in some coastal areas if
necessary due to the possibility of high tides, he said adding
people, particularly tourists, have been asked to remain
Fishermen have been asked not to venture into the sea as
a precautionary measure, Mohapatra said.
In the tourist sea shore town of Puri and other places,
announcements were made over public address systems asking
people not to venture into the sea. Tourists were asked to
stay away from the sea, officials said.
Alerts were also issued in the port town of Paradip as
well as Gopalpur and Astarang.
Mild tremors were felt in different parts of Odisha,
including the state capital, here following the massive
earthquake in Sumatra.
Apart from Bhubaneswar, places like Cuttack, Khurda,
Nayagarh, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara and Bhadrak were shaken.
There was no report of casualty or damage from
anywhere in the state, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday