Alert sounded in three Orissa districts for Maoist bandh
Berhampur (Orissa): Alert was sounded in
three southern Orissa districts on Sunday in view of Monday’s
bandh call by Maoists in protest against alleged police excess
against tribals in the districts.
"We have alerted security forces in vulnerable areas
of Ganjam, Gajapati and Kandhamal districts in view of the
bandh call given by the Naxalites", DIG (Southern range) R
K Sharma said here.
He said additional security forces deployed in
Gajapati and Kandhamal districts for Christmas would remain
there till New Year celebration.
At least 20 platoons of police force were deployed in
Kandhamal and six platoons of Orissa Special Armed Police and
two companies of Central Reserve Police Forces deployed in
Maoists gave the shutdown call in Ganjam, Gajapati
and Kandhamal districts in protest against the police
clampdown and the charge was supported by other Naxal groups.
Claiming that in name of Maoists, police killed
several `innocent` people in southern Orissa districts, Sunil,
secretary of CPI (ML), Orissa state committee, gave a list of
tribals allegedly being killed by police.
Sunil said Dasarathi Raikia of Rumunda under R
Udayagiri police station in Gajapati district was the last
person to have been gunned down by the CRPF at Atarasingh
Square on December 18 last.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days