Alert sounded in three Orissa districts for Maoist bandh
Berhampur (Orissa): Alert was sounded in
three southern Orissa districts on Sunday in view of Monday’s
bandh call by Maoists in protest against alleged police excess
against tribals in the districts.
"We have alerted security forces in vulnerable areas
of Ganjam, Gajapati and Kandhamal districts in view of the
bandh call given by the Naxalites", DIG (Southern range) R
K Sharma said here.
He said additional security forces deployed in
Gajapati and Kandhamal districts for Christmas would remain
there till New Year celebration.
At least 20 platoons of police force were deployed in
Kandhamal and six platoons of Orissa Special Armed Police and
two companies of Central Reserve Police Forces deployed in
Maoists gave the shutdown call in Ganjam, Gajapati
and Kandhamal districts in protest against the police
clampdown and the charge was supported by other Naxal groups.
Claiming that in name of Maoists, police killed
several `innocent` people in southern Orissa districts, Sunil,
secretary of CPI (ML), Orissa state committee, gave a list of
tribals allegedly being killed by police.
Sunil said Dasarathi Raikia of Rumunda under R
Udayagiri police station in Gajapati district was the last
person to have been gunned down by the CRPF at Atarasingh
Square on December 18 last.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights