Ambedkar statue demolished during eviction drive Odisha
Baripada: A statue of BR Ambedkar was demolished here, the district headquarters town of Mayurbhanj district, during an eviction drive launched by the local civic authorities and district administration.
To protest the demolition carried out by the local civic authorities and the district administration yesterday, around 500 people including women and children of Darogadahi area today assembled at the site and staged a dharna demanding arrest of officials responsible for the demolition and re-installation of the statue of Ambedkar.
A delegation led by former Zila Parishad chairman Bhadav Hansda and JMM state spokesman and former chief of Baripada Municipality Krushna Nanda Mohanty called on the District Collector, Mayurbhanj, Rajesh Pravakar Patil and submitted a memorandum demanding arrest of the officials responsible for demolition and re-installation of the statue.
Expressing his regret over the demolition, the district collector said a similar statue would be installed at a suitable place in the same area before the birth anniversary of the great leader on April 14 and the district administration would honour him at the place on that day.
The statue of Ambedkar was installed by Baripada Municipality in 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed