Ambedkar statue demolished during eviction drive Odisha
Baripada: A statue of BR Ambedkar was demolished here, the district headquarters town of Mayurbhanj district, during an eviction drive launched by the local civic authorities and district administration.
To protest the demolition carried out by the local civic authorities and the district administration yesterday, around 500 people including women and children of Darogadahi area today assembled at the site and staged a dharna demanding arrest of officials responsible for the demolition and re-installation of the statue of Ambedkar.
A delegation led by former Zila Parishad chairman Bhadav Hansda and JMM state spokesman and former chief of Baripada Municipality Krushna Nanda Mohanty called on the District Collector, Mayurbhanj, Rajesh Pravakar Patil and submitted a memorandum demanding arrest of the officials responsible for demolition and re-installation of the statue.
Expressing his regret over the demolition, the district collector said a similar statue would be installed at a suitable place in the same area before the birth anniversary of the great leader on April 14 and the district administration would honour him at the place on that day.
The statue of Ambedkar was installed by Baripada Municipality in 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur