Anganwadi wall collapse toll mounts to 7
Bhubaneswar: With two more children succumbing to injuries, the toll in Anganwadi wall collapse in Nayagarh mounted to seven today even as Odisha government sought report from all district collectors by Friday on safety of buildings from where such state-run day care and education centres are run.
While Alisha Jena (5) died at SCB Medical College Hospital in Cuttack, three-year-old Pradumnya Pradhan succumbed at a private hospital here today.
"Collectors have been directed to submit report on safety of anganwadi centres by July 13," said Women and Child Development secretary Arati Ahuja adding the authorities were also told to shift centres if they are being run from unsafe premises.
Chief Secretary B K Patnaik said that "safety of all the schools and anganwadi centres would be inspected."
The wall of a room of the Anganwadi centre operating in Nelia Upper Primary School campus at Suansia Sahi village collapsed yesterday when 11 children were inside it along with three adults - a cook, a helper and the mother of a child.
The state government had suspended the headmistress of Nelia Upper Primary School and issued showcause notice to two anganwadi workers for not informing the authorities about the poor condition of the classroom.
A delegation of the Odisha Anganwadi Workers and Helpers Association today met Ahuja and demanded immediate withdrawal of suspension of two Anganwadi Workers.
It said claimed the anganwadi workers had informed the headmistress about the condition of the class room.
"This is not the first death of children at an
anganwadi centre. Earlier a child had died at Bhograi in Balasore district due to roof collapse," alleged Sanghita Roy, a leader of the association.
"Had the government taken action immediately after the Bhograi incident, this one incident would not have happened," Roy told reporters after meeting the WCD secretary.
The state government has announced Rs one lakh ex-gratia for family of the each of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble