Anganwadi wall collapse toll mounts to 7
Bhubaneswar: With two more children succumbing to injuries, the toll in Anganwadi wall collapse in Nayagarh mounted to seven today even as Odisha government sought report from all district collectors by Friday on safety of buildings from where such state-run day care and education centres are run.
While Alisha Jena (5) died at SCB Medical College Hospital in Cuttack, three-year-old Pradumnya Pradhan succumbed at a private hospital here today.
"Collectors have been directed to submit report on safety of anganwadi centres by July 13," said Women and Child Development secretary Arati Ahuja adding the authorities were also told to shift centres if they are being run from unsafe premises.
Chief Secretary B K Patnaik said that "safety of all the schools and anganwadi centres would be inspected."
The wall of a room of the Anganwadi centre operating in Nelia Upper Primary School campus at Suansia Sahi village collapsed yesterday when 11 children were inside it along with three adults - a cook, a helper and the mother of a child.
The state government had suspended the headmistress of Nelia Upper Primary School and issued showcause notice to two anganwadi workers for not informing the authorities about the poor condition of the classroom.
A delegation of the Odisha Anganwadi Workers and Helpers Association today met Ahuja and demanded immediate withdrawal of suspension of two Anganwadi Workers.
It said claimed the anganwadi workers had informed the headmistress about the condition of the class room.
"This is not the first death of children at an
anganwadi centre. Earlier a child had died at Bhograi in Balasore district due to roof collapse," alleged Sanghita Roy, a leader of the association.
"Had the government taken action immediately after the Bhograi incident, this one incident would not have happened," Roy told reporters after meeting the WCD secretary.
The state government has announced Rs one lakh ex-gratia for family of the each of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees