Another blackbuck found dead in Ganjam district
Berhampur (Odisha): One more blackbuck was found dead near Bhetanai village under Aska forest range in Odisha`s Ganjam district.
Forest personnel recovered the body of a two-year-old male blackbuck yesterday.
"The blackbuck might have died due to infighting in the herd," forest range officer (Aska) N C Dora said.
It was the second death of the blackbuck in a month in the region, considered as one of the major habitats of the animal in the country.
Forest officials had found a three-year-old female blackbuck dead near Aska Science College on May 6. The three-year-old blackbuck had died due to poaching.
Forest officials had also rescued a blackbuck near Nayagarh, the adjoining district of Ganjam last week, while it entered into a house.
In 2012-13, at least 7 blackbucks had died alone in Aska forest range, forest officials said.
Unofficial sources however put the death toll higher than the official figure.
Many blackbucks often strayed into human habitations and poachers might have taken the opportunity, wildlife activists said. Some of them also perished in the road accidents.
According to the census in July 2011, there were 2,181 blackbucks in Aska, Buguda, Polasara, Khallikote and Berhampur forest ranges as compared to 1,672 in 2008. Their number was 551 in 1998, 786 in 2004 and 1,101 in 2006, sources said.
Many blackbucks have been migrating to the forest areas in Jagannath Prasad, Belaguntha, Polasara and Khallikote and Nayagarh forest areas, officials said.
"We have taken all possible measures to ensure the safety of the blackbucks, while patrolling was intensified in the area," said forest range officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC