Another blackbuck found dead in Ganjam district
Berhampur (Odisha): One more blackbuck was found dead near Bhetanai village under Aska forest range in Odisha`s Ganjam district.
Forest personnel recovered the body of a two-year-old male blackbuck yesterday.
"The blackbuck might have died due to infighting in the herd," forest range officer (Aska) N C Dora said.
It was the second death of the blackbuck in a month in the region, considered as one of the major habitats of the animal in the country.
Forest officials had found a three-year-old female blackbuck dead near Aska Science College on May 6. The three-year-old blackbuck had died due to poaching.
Forest officials had also rescued a blackbuck near Nayagarh, the adjoining district of Ganjam last week, while it entered into a house.
In 2012-13, at least 7 blackbucks had died alone in Aska forest range, forest officials said.
Unofficial sources however put the death toll higher than the official figure.
Many blackbucks often strayed into human habitations and poachers might have taken the opportunity, wildlife activists said. Some of them also perished in the road accidents.
According to the census in July 2011, there were 2,181 blackbucks in Aska, Buguda, Polasara, Khallikote and Berhampur forest ranges as compared to 1,672 in 2008. Their number was 551 in 1998, 786 in 2004 and 1,101 in 2006, sources said.
Many blackbucks have been migrating to the forest areas in Jagannath Prasad, Belaguntha, Polasara and Khallikote and Nayagarh forest areas, officials said.
"We have taken all possible measures to ensure the safety of the blackbucks, while patrolling was intensified in the area," said forest range officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump Inauguration LIVE: US President vows to eradicate Islamic terrorism from the face of Earth