Anti-Maoist operation continues in Saranda forest
Jamshedpur: Four persons were today detained
as fresh contingents of security forces took on Maoists in the
anti-Naxal operations inside Saranda forest in West Singhbhum
district where landmines and other explosives were seized.
"Fresh securitymen were inducted to give rest to the
personnel fighting for the past four days," DIG (Kolhan
range), Navin Kumar Singh, said.
Superintendent of Police, A K Singh said the ultras had
triggered 19 landmines blast since Saturday, including eight
times when security personnel were carrying the body of a
Maoist killed in Tiriposhi jungle during the operation.
Three security personnel including two state armed
policemen and about a dozen ultras were killed in the
The Maoists escaped with the INSAS rifle of a CoBRA
personnel Jaipal Singh who was killed in the exchange of fire,
The DIG (Kolhan) said three improvised explosive devices
(IEDs) were recovered at Digha and Karampada while a number of
persons had been detained and were being interrogated.
The detained, who have have been identified as Suresh
Gudia, Suma Tarkal, Kujri Gagrai and Dargana Bodra, have
provided vital information during interrogation, he said.
Police sources said that the Maoists fired at police in
six places since Saturday.
The operations led to the seizure of 11 landmines and a
claymore bomb weighing between 20 to 35 kg while six training
camps of the ultras were demolished. The landmines were
defused in the jungle.
Four bombs, seven packets of explosives, wires,
flashlights, Naxal literature and uniforms were also seized.
Security forces destroyed tents, generator sets, clothes,
utensils and carpets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Three drowned as car plunges into canal in UP
- After clinching historic silver medal, here's what PV Sindhu was allowed to do by coach Pullela Gopichand
- Welspun India hires Ernst & Young to probe US export lapses
- BIZARRE PUNISHMENT! Kim Jong-Un to make North Korean athletes, who could not win medals in Rio Olympics, work in coal mines?
- OP Jaisha's illness delays Sports Ministry probe into official apathy