Anti-Posco agitation: Fact finding team demands judicial inquiry into bomb blast
New Delhi: A month after a bomb blast claimed
lives of four anti-Posco activists in Odisha, a fact finding team consisting of rights activists today demanded a high level judicial inquiry into the incident.
"It is a horrible situation. Four people die in bomb blasts and there is no inquiry. People`s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) and the team demand judicial inquiry into this incident," Justice (Retd) Rajinder Sachar told reporters releasing the report.
The report was prepared by a 12-member team consisting of human rights activists, journalists, academicians, democratic rights and civil liberty activists which conducted a visit to the district on March 9 to take stock of the situation after the March 2 bomb blast.
Sumit Chakravarty, a member of the team said, "It was a powerful bomb blast and if these people would be making bombs they would be making country made bombs which would not have been so powerful. What has happened, we don`t want to pre judge. But we want an impartial judicial inquiry."
Another major demand mentioned by the team included compensation on humanitarian grounds to the families of the deceased who were killed and withdrawal of the police camp from Gobindapur village as it is contributing to escalating tensions in the area among others.
There have been contrasting claims regarding the blast incident by the police and the Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS), which is spearheading the movement against land acquisition for the Posco project in Odisha.
The police said it was an accidental explosion which took place during the time when the deceased were involved in bomb making where as the PPSS has maintained that the blast was an "attack by the company and its supporters to demoralise the movement resisting the forcible land acquisition."
The report also mentions the version by the families of the two deceased, who allege that police initially refused to file their complaint.
"The police arrived on the midnight of March 3 and asked them to sign a written statement stating that the victims died in the process of making bombs which they refused to do," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof