Anti-POSCO leader arrested
Paradip: Anti-Posco leader Abhaya Sahu was arrested in Tirtol area near here in
Jagatsinghpur district of Odisha, the police said.
"Sahu, President of Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti
(PPSS), was held by a police team at Nuapokhari last night
when he was returning from Bhubaneswar to his village," IIC of
Tritol police station Debadutta Kar said.
The police team stopped Sahu`s car on Manijanga-
Erasama road near the proposed project site of South Korean
steel major Posco following information and took him into
custody, he said.
The PPSS president was arrested in connection with
several cases pending against him, Kar said.
The cases slapped by police against Sahu related to
alleged assault and imposition of fine on people who did not
support him, police said adding that the anti-Posco leader
faced about a dozen cases of varied nature.
Sahu, however, refuted the charges and claimed that he
was arrested in false cases.
The PPSS chief has been leading an agitation for the
last six years against land acquisition for the proposed Rs
52,000 crore Posco steel project.
Earlier, Sahu had been arrested by police in October,
2008. He was released after obtaining bail from the court in
August, 2009, sources said.
The arrest of Sahu, who would be produced before court
shortly, has triggered tension in the area with PPSS activists
protesting the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh