Anti-POSCO leader arrested
Paradip: Anti-Posco leader Abhaya Sahu was arrested in Tirtol area near here in
Jagatsinghpur district of Odisha, the police said.
"Sahu, President of Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti
(PPSS), was held by a police team at Nuapokhari last night
when he was returning from Bhubaneswar to his village," IIC of
Tritol police station Debadutta Kar said.
The police team stopped Sahu`s car on Manijanga-
Erasama road near the proposed project site of South Korean
steel major Posco following information and took him into
custody, he said.
The PPSS president was arrested in connection with
several cases pending against him, Kar said.
The cases slapped by police against Sahu related to
alleged assault and imposition of fine on people who did not
support him, police said adding that the anti-Posco leader
faced about a dozen cases of varied nature.
Sahu, however, refuted the charges and claimed that he
was arrested in false cases.
The PPSS chief has been leading an agitation for the
last six years against land acquisition for the proposed Rs
52,000 crore Posco steel project.
Earlier, Sahu had been arrested by police in October,
2008. He was released after obtaining bail from the court in
August, 2009, sources said.
The arrest of Sahu, who would be produced before court
shortly, has triggered tension in the area with PPSS activists
protesting the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?