Anti-Posco movement leader Abhay Sahu arrested
Paradip: Anti-Posco movement leader Abhay
Sahu was arrested in Odisha`s Jagatsinghpur district and sent
to jail after his bail application was rejected by a court in
Kujanga on Saturday.
Sahu, president of Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS)
was produced before sub-divisional judicial magistrate (SDJM),
Kujanga, Alpana Swain who rejected his bail application and
remanded him to 14-days judicial custody.
Altogether 10 cases were slapped against Sahu during
last three months which included clash with police during
construction of a coastal road and involvement in a dowry
related death incident, police said.
Sahu was held by a police team at Nuapokhari near
Tirtol last night when he was returning from Bhubaneswar to
his village, Inspector-In-Charge of Tritol police station,
Debadutta Kar said.
The PPSS president was arrested in connection with
several cases pending against him, Kar said.
Sahu, however, refuted the charges and claimed that he
was arrested in false cases.
The PPSS chief has been leading an agitation for the
last six years against land acquisition for the proposed Rs
52,000 crore Posco steel project.
Earlier, Sahu had been arrested by police in October,
2008. He was released after obtaining bail from the court in
August, 2009, sources said.
PPSS activists and leaders of Left parties protested
Sahu`s arrest and demanded his immediate release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17