Anti-Posco movement leader Abhay Sahu arrested
Paradip: Anti-Posco movement leader Abhay
Sahu was arrested in Odisha`s Jagatsinghpur district and sent
to jail after his bail application was rejected by a court in
Kujanga on Saturday.
Sahu, president of Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS)
was produced before sub-divisional judicial magistrate (SDJM),
Kujanga, Alpana Swain who rejected his bail application and
remanded him to 14-days judicial custody.
Altogether 10 cases were slapped against Sahu during
last three months which included clash with police during
construction of a coastal road and involvement in a dowry
related death incident, police said.
Sahu was held by a police team at Nuapokhari near
Tirtol last night when he was returning from Bhubaneswar to
his village, Inspector-In-Charge of Tritol police station,
Debadutta Kar said.
The PPSS president was arrested in connection with
several cases pending against him, Kar said.
Sahu, however, refuted the charges and claimed that he
was arrested in false cases.
The PPSS chief has been leading an agitation for the
last six years against land acquisition for the proposed Rs
52,000 crore Posco steel project.
Earlier, Sahu had been arrested by police in October,
2008. He was released after obtaining bail from the court in
August, 2009, sources said.
PPSS activists and leaders of Left parties protested
Sahu`s arrest and demanded his immediate release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere