Anti-Posco protestors prevent road construction
Paradip: After a few days lull,
the proposed Posco plant site in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur
district on Saturday witnessed noisy scenes with anti-project
activists preventing start of construction of a coastal road.
Activists of Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS)
chased a group of people who had been to an area under Dhinkia
panchayat along the sea for construction of a coastal road.
The proposed coastal road is planned to be laid from
the Paradip Oil Refinery to Posco area, the foundation for
which was laid yesterday.
As the contractor and workers were proceeding to the
site during the day, PPSS activists protested the move and
chased them away, official sources said.
The district administration had a tough time in
convincing a large number of protesters who blocked the
road at Gadakujanga by erecting bamboo barricades.
Like the protests at Gobindpur and Nuagaon, the
protestors at Gadakujanga included women and children under
the banner of Kunjabehary Anchalik Surakshya Samittee (KASS)
since August 16.
Gadakujanga is one of the three routes to Posco site
from Balitutha junction. The other routes through Gobindpur
and Nuagaon remained blocked by PPSS and United Action
Committee (UAC), a pro-industry outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened