Assam Police yet to contact us: Odisha DGP
Bhubaneswar: Hours after Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi claimed that the key accused in the Guwahati molestation case was in Bhubaneswar, Odisha Police today said its Assam counterpart is yet to contact it on the matter.
"Assam police has not sent any requisition. They have neither contacted me nor the Commissioner of Police of the twin city of Bhubaneswar-Cuttack in connection with the molestation case," DGP Prakash Mishra told PTI here.
"Tracking of key accused Amarjyoti Kalita`s mobile phone has pointed to his presence in Bhubaneswar. Assam Police is in touch with its Odisha counterparts and we hope to trace him soon," Gogoi told reporters in Guwahati.
Mishra said information about tracking of Kalita`s phone three days back, which hinted he had called someone in the city, had already been conveyed to the Assam police but there was no further development on that front.
"Later it was found that someone using Kalita`s phone had called up a public booth located at the railway station here," a senior official, requesting anonymity, said.
"It is not possible to make any headway as hundreds of people throng the PCO daily," DCP Nitinjit Singh said.
The Odisha police had launched a search operation yesterday following reports that the key accused was in the state.
"Policemen searched a number of hotels and lodges near the station but in vain," Mishra said.
Police also conducted searches in Puri`s hotels and guest houses following reports that Kalita could be hiding there, Puri SP Anoop Kumar Sahoo said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!