Assam Police yet to contact us: Odisha DGP
Bhubaneswar: Hours after Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi claimed that the key accused in the Guwahati molestation case was in Bhubaneswar, Odisha Police today said its Assam counterpart is yet to contact it on the matter.
"Assam police has not sent any requisition. They have neither contacted me nor the Commissioner of Police of the twin city of Bhubaneswar-Cuttack in connection with the molestation case," DGP Prakash Mishra told PTI here.
"Tracking of key accused Amarjyoti Kalita`s mobile phone has pointed to his presence in Bhubaneswar. Assam Police is in touch with its Odisha counterparts and we hope to trace him soon," Gogoi told reporters in Guwahati.
Mishra said information about tracking of Kalita`s phone three days back, which hinted he had called someone in the city, had already been conveyed to the Assam police but there was no further development on that front.
"Later it was found that someone using Kalita`s phone had called up a public booth located at the railway station here," a senior official, requesting anonymity, said.
"It is not possible to make any headway as hundreds of people throng the PCO daily," DCP Nitinjit Singh said.
The Odisha police had launched a search operation yesterday following reports that the key accused was in the state.
"Policemen searched a number of hotels and lodges near the station but in vain," Mishra said.
Police also conducted searches in Puri`s hotels and guest houses following reports that Kalita could be hiding there, Puri SP Anoop Kumar Sahoo said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital