Assembly: Cong to target Naveen; BJD to raise UPA scams
Bhubaneswar: With the winter session of the Odisha Assembly commencing on Tuesday, Opposition Congress will demand Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik`s resignation over coal scam and some other issues while the ruling BJD pledged to highlight the series of scams in the UPA government at the Centre.
Strategies of different political parties including the BJD and the Congress were prepared at the legislature party meetings at the Assembly premises this evening.
"We are ready to discuss any issue to be raised by the Opposition members. The BJD will highlight UPA government`s negligence towards Odisha and a series of scams," BJD president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told reporters.
Criticising the BJD government over telephone tapping of above 4,000 people during a span of four years, Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh (Congress) said, "The Chief Minister is in charge of the Home department. It is his moral responsibility to resign for the government tapping telephones of thousands of people."
Following an RTI application, it was recently revealed that the BJD government had ordered tapping of telephones of 4,620 persons in Odisha during the past four years.
Singh said the Congress would also raise the "illegal deal" between the state owned Odisha Mining Corporation and the Delhi based Sainik company.
The BJP which has six MLAs and support of one Independent MLA in the House of 147 members, in its legislature party meeting resolved to attack the state government over the OMC-Sainik deal and also the phone tapping case, said party MLA Karendra Majhi.
The winter session was scheduled to continue till December 22. During the period, government plans to pass 16 bills, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past