Assembly stalled, Govt offices and courts closed in W Odisha
Bhubaneswar/Sambalpur: Odisha Assembly was stalled on Tuesday due to frequent adjournments as opposition Congress and BJP demonstrated in the House demanding setting up of a permanent bench in the western region as the government offices and judicial courts in seven districts remained closed.
The House witnessed noisy protest in the well after obituary reference on opening day of the monsoon session for death of former member of the House and security personnel.
Both Congress and BJP MLAs rushed to the well demanding setting up of a permanent High Court bench in western Odisha.
As the din continued Speaker Pradip Amat adjourned the house twice.
The issue was raised by Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress and BJP Legislature Party leader J N Mishra separately.
Both the leaders demanded adjournment of the House and a discussion on the issue at Speaker`s chamber.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kalpataru Das accused the Opposition of disrupting proceedings to gain political mileage over the issue.
"The Speaker had already allowed a debate on the issue. Instead of participating in discussion, they created pandemonium to gain cheap publicity," Das said.
BJD MLAs led by Pushpendra Singhdeo staged a dharna near Gandhiji`s statue in the Assembly premises supporting the demands of the people of western Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre