Assembly stalled, Govt offices and courts closed in W Odisha
Bhubaneswar/Sambalpur: Odisha Assembly was stalled on Tuesday due to frequent adjournments as opposition Congress and BJP demonstrated in the House demanding setting up of a permanent bench in the western region as the government offices and judicial courts in seven districts remained closed.
The House witnessed noisy protest in the well after obituary reference on opening day of the monsoon session for death of former member of the House and security personnel.
Both Congress and BJP MLAs rushed to the well demanding setting up of a permanent High Court bench in western Odisha.
As the din continued Speaker Pradip Amat adjourned the house twice.
The issue was raised by Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress and BJP Legislature Party leader J N Mishra separately.
Both the leaders demanded adjournment of the House and a discussion on the issue at Speaker`s chamber.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kalpataru Das accused the Opposition of disrupting proceedings to gain political mileage over the issue.
"The Speaker had already allowed a debate on the issue. Instead of participating in discussion, they created pandemonium to gain cheap publicity," Das said.
BJD MLAs led by Pushpendra Singhdeo staged a dharna near Gandhiji`s statue in the Assembly premises supporting the demands of the people of western Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk