Athgarh by-poll peaceful barring stray incidents
Athgarh: Barring a stray incident of EVM snatching in one booth, polling in Athgarh assembly segment went off peacefully while an elderly voter
died of stress.
BJD’s four-time MLA Ranendra Pratap Swain is locking
horns with senior Congress leader and OPCC General Secretary
Suresh Chandra Mohapatra in the constituency which has five
other candidates including BJP’s Bikram Dash.
Preliminary reports indicate that little over 70
per cent voters exercised their franchise beating the
scorching heat as they lined before 198 booths of the segment
throughout the day.
Athgarh has 1.85 lakh voters in its electoral list of
which around 80,000 are women voters.
The state chief electoral officer has however ordered
re-polling in Sunthipal booth under Tigiria police station
after some unidentified persons snatched away the EVM alleging
that the polling here was conducted in a very unfair manner.
The re-polling would be held on Tuesday.
A frantic search by police to trace the
missing EVM yielded no result. Police however, has detained a
person in this connection.
Contrary to sluggish polling pace in the morning
hours, brisk voting took place in the afternoon and
by 3 pm 47 per cent of voters had exercised their franchise.
Long queues were witnessed at many rural booths even
after the 5 pm deadline and sources said polling in some
booths went upto 8 pm.
In Athgarh a 90-year-old woman died due to exhaustion.
Nishamani Sethy of Kuleilo village fainted just just
after she cast her vote. She was immediately rushed to the
nearby government hospital where she was declared brought
A presiding officer also fainted inside the
booth in the midst of polling but recovered in hospital,
officials sources said.
Counting of the votes in the segment is scheduled on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister