Awareness drive on pesticide effect on peacocks
Berhampur: With pesticide-laced
flowers in cotton fields claiming the lives of 13 peacocks,
authorities have decided to launch an awareness drive on the
harmful effects of using poisonous pesticides in Pakidi hill
area of Orissa`s Ganjam district.
Pakidi hill, spread over 1970 hectare, is considered as
the largest habitat of peacocks in the country.
District Collector Krishan Kumar said, "I have instructed
officials of the agriculture and forest departments to chalk
out a plan to create awareness among the people of the area
asking them not to use pesticides that harm peacocks. "
The Collector also asked the officials to involve the
Peacock Protection Committee in the job.
A decorated chariot taken out during Wildlife Week was
also moving in the area for spreading awareness on the issue,
divisional forest officers Ghumusar (North) R C Sethi said.
"We have asked the farmers to use bio-fertiliser in crops
to protect peacocks in the area," Peacock Protection
Committee president Samir Pradhan said.
The committee has also decided to install sign boards
in human habitations where peacocks roam freely, he said.
At least 13 peacocks have died near Kerikerijhola and
Ambuabadi villages near Pakidi hill since October 2 after
consuming cotton flowers laced with poisonous pesticide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened