Awareness drive on pesticide effect on peacocks
Berhampur: With pesticide-laced
flowers in cotton fields claiming the lives of 13 peacocks,
authorities have decided to launch an awareness drive on the
harmful effects of using poisonous pesticides in Pakidi hill
area of Orissa`s Ganjam district.
Pakidi hill, spread over 1970 hectare, is considered as
the largest habitat of peacocks in the country.
District Collector Krishan Kumar said, "I have instructed
officials of the agriculture and forest departments to chalk
out a plan to create awareness among the people of the area
asking them not to use pesticides that harm peacocks. "
The Collector also asked the officials to involve the
Peacock Protection Committee in the job.
A decorated chariot taken out during Wildlife Week was
also moving in the area for spreading awareness on the issue,
divisional forest officers Ghumusar (North) R C Sethi said.
"We have asked the farmers to use bio-fertiliser in crops
to protect peacocks in the area," Peacock Protection
Committee president Samir Pradhan said.
The committee has also decided to install sign boards
in human habitations where peacocks roam freely, he said.
At least 13 peacocks have died near Kerikerijhola and
Ambuabadi villages near Pakidi hill since October 2 after
consuming cotton flowers laced with poisonous pesticide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof