Balangir bandh peaceful, CM effigy burnt
Balangir (Odisha): Normal life was affected and effigy of Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik burnt in Balangir during a 12-hour bandh called by Congress alleging deterioration in law and order situation in the district and pressing for several demands.
The dawn-to-dusk shut-down demanded among other things quick steps for construction of lower Suktel irrigation project, a bypass road and establishment of a government medical college at Balangir.
Shops and business establishments, banks, post offices, petrol pumps and school and colleges remained closed during the bandh which passed off peacefully without any untoward incident, police said.
Vehicles were off the road as Congress activists picketed at many places including government offices.
They staged a dharna outside the collectorate and burnt effigies of Chief Minister Naveen Pattnaik, MLA AU Singhdeo and MP Kalikesh Singhdeo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal