Balangir bandh peaceful, CM effigy burnt
Balangir (Odisha): Normal life was affected and effigy of Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik burnt in Balangir during a 12-hour bandh called by Congress alleging deterioration in law and order situation in the district and pressing for several demands.
The dawn-to-dusk shut-down demanded among other things quick steps for construction of lower Suktel irrigation project, a bypass road and establishment of a government medical college at Balangir.
Shops and business establishments, banks, post offices, petrol pumps and school and colleges remained closed during the bandh which passed off peacefully without any untoward incident, police said.
Vehicles were off the road as Congress activists picketed at many places including government offices.
They staged a dharna outside the collectorate and burnt effigies of Chief Minister Naveen Pattnaik, MLA AU Singhdeo and MP Kalikesh Singhdeo.
- NEET 2016: 2nd phase to be held on July 24; Centre and CBSE should start preparations, says Supreme Court
- 12 Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists detained as Delhi Police foils major terror plot, seizes explosives
- Spectacular view of the Bahamas from space – See pic!
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Oommen Chandy to meet family, promises help
- Indian Premier League 2016: Gautam Gambhir fined for kicking chair; Virat Kohli for slow over rate