Balangir bandh peaceful, CM effigy burnt
Balangir (Odisha): Normal life was affected and effigy of Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik burnt in Balangir during a 12-hour bandh called by Congress alleging deterioration in law and order situation in the district and pressing for several demands.
The dawn-to-dusk shut-down demanded among other things quick steps for construction of lower Suktel irrigation project, a bypass road and establishment of a government medical college at Balangir.
Shops and business establishments, banks, post offices, petrol pumps and school and colleges remained closed during the bandh which passed off peacefully without any untoward incident, police said.
Vehicles were off the road as Congress activists picketed at many places including government offices.
They staged a dharna outside the collectorate and burnt effigies of Chief Minister Naveen Pattnaik, MLA AU Singhdeo and MP Kalikesh Singhdeo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites