Balangir bandh peaceful, CM effigy burnt
Balangir (Odisha): Normal life was affected and effigy of Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik burnt in Balangir during a 12-hour bandh called by Congress alleging deterioration in law and order situation in the district and pressing for several demands.
The dawn-to-dusk shut-down demanded among other things quick steps for construction of lower Suktel irrigation project, a bypass road and establishment of a government medical college at Balangir.
Shops and business establishments, banks, post offices, petrol pumps and school and colleges remained closed during the bandh which passed off peacefully without any untoward incident, police said.
Vehicles were off the road as Congress activists picketed at many places including government offices.
They staged a dharna outside the collectorate and burnt effigies of Chief Minister Naveen Pattnaik, MLA AU Singhdeo and MP Kalikesh Singhdeo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold
- Handful of vested interests inciting trouble in Kashmir: J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti